How I learned Lua.

• Many others will tell their story, but I haven't yet explained mine. Normally, hearing how someone else learned can give us a mindset or ideas about how we can learn ourselves.

Before I learned:
    Before I attempted to learn Lua, I struggled with math, english, and just about every other subject in school. The thing I hated most was that it seemed what we were learning in school was completely pointless.
    This is a common problem with the school system. It is often up to us to find motivation to do good in school, and try our best towards activities. To me, programming was that motivation for me.

How I started:
    So I didn't start by programming in ROBLOX. Instead, I downloaded the Sketch Lua app for the ipads, which is what we had for school. I didn't have much to start, besides 10-15 examples of basic programs. Inside the app, there was no wait() function, or any events that I remember. All I really had was the io.read() function that got user input.
    I remember making 3 versions of a Truth or Dare game. I managed to get a version that kept score and everything. Most of the time I didn't know if what I was doing was correct, or if I was doing it right. All that mattered was that I could get the program to work.
    After about a month of using this application, I started watching tutorials for RBX. I watched the basic tutorials that you'll normally find when you first attempt to make something and learn how to code in RBX. I made cannons, and I made moving platforms. Because of the stuff I did in the application, I already knew the basic aspects of Lua, like loops, conditionals, print, variables, etc. The one thing I didn't know was how to use the functions in RBX to do anything, really. I learned about Vector3's in the tutorial, how to use Clone(), and how the setup of workspace worked, like how to parent something or access something.
    The first thing I made myself in RBX was a weather system. I made it wait() a random amount of time by putting math.random() inside the wait. Then it would pick a random weather system. All it really did was spawn parts in the air after spawning clouds.
    A few weeks later I learned how to play sounds, so I played rain, wind, and even lighting sounds. I remember being very very proud of this system. It wasn't the best, but it was something I had created. I knew how every single part of the system worked to a basic level, and I could change anything I wanted.

My first game:
    I had attempted to make a game before the one I'll be talking about, but I don't count it for multiple reasons. First, it was never finished. Second, the game was mainly consisted of scripts I copied from youtube, which is fine, but I didn't know how they worked, how to alter them, or really how to control or use them. The game was also never finished.
    The first game I made was a trivia game. You know, those games you say the character you see on a part then the part opens. Mine was different, though. Mine how multiple trivia games using teleporting bricks. The game saved, and was even Filtering Enabled!
    There are many things I loved about that game. I actually used it to learn more about subjects I was interested in my making the trivia about things like astronomy. I also had memory games.
    I only did like 10 trivia games, but I still consider it basically done. Going back now, however, some of the images don't appear due to decal images expiring. This was also the same time when I found SH.

My experience with Scripting Helpers:
    SH is probably my favorite site. I love the site very much. I've spent so much time on this site. I've reached the point now where I'm learning less from the site, but I still feel like I'm gaining experience with writing and communicating to others.
    SH is one of the main reasons I enjoy English so much, and the leading reason I turned my grades around at school. The majority of the community at SH is very kind, and polite.

Recently:
    Recently leading up to now I still try to challenge myself. I make sure I don't take the easy way out. If there's something I could try that could possibly make my code cleaner, I try it. I think it's important to keep ourselves challenged. However, now I mostly spend my time in the SH community. I still program, just not too often anymore.

Finial Notes:
    Programming is a very important skill to learn in the modern world. While this might not have been the story you were expecting, I still hope that if you take anything from this post, it's that persistence and grit will get you far in life, or at lease help with you're lifestyle.

• Awesome! Programming also brought me lots of happiness! I hope you'll maintain what you have while learning Lua up 'til now! :D

• Very useful! Thanks.

• @OldPalHappy This is really inspiring! It kind of reminds me how I got started and why I still do it today. It's a ton of fun to try to figure out how to do things on your own.

• Awesome story!

Looks like your connection to Scripting Helpers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.