Suggestion: Moderation Changes

• When a question gets moderated, it's because of several reasons.

• Off-Topic
    • Spam
    • Not Constructive
    • Duplicate
    • Too Broad
    • Non-Descriptive
    • Primarily Opinion Based
    • Or the question could be locked

I think it would make a nice feature to explain in more depth why something was moderated. As an example, Not Constructive is used a lot. When your question gets moderated for not being constructive, you get this message,

"This question has been closed because it is not constructive to others or the asker. Most commonly, questions that are requests with no attempt from the asker to solve their problem will fall into this category."

However, that is slightly broad. I think what would be nice is a button to a link, explaining how to fix this, and giving examples of Non-Constructive questions, and examples of how to fix them.

I also think it would be important, or rather nice, to not take rep on the first offence. This would make the community a more productive place, I feel. And examples on all or most of the moderation types would be very helpful in teaching people how to properly ask questions.

The final thing I'm here to suggest is the ability to moderate a question. Not for the same reasons as asking a question, but for similar. For example, I think good moderation requests for questions could follow:

• Spam
    • Not An Answer
    • Harmful or Nonconstructive

This moderation wouldn't be used on wrong answers, but on things that aren't answers. It would just help to cleanup all the bad answers you see all too often now.

Thanks for reading my suggestions! Let me know what you think, and if you agree on, or disagree on, things I've said so far!

• Global Moderator

@OldPalHappy Your ideas seem good in general, but I have no idea how they should be implemented. I definitely want to see the ability to moderate answers. To start with, it would be nice to remove spam and non-answers.

As for more specific explanations and more specific options for moderation, also want that. How exactly to arrange that, though... That's going to be a lot of work.

In short, good idea, but still needs work.

• @GoldenPhysics Well, like I said, I would simply suggest a link under the original question taking you to a place that explains these things. I guess I'm not sure where you would actually write the explanation. Maybe on the forum.

But thanks for the feedback.

• Global Moderator

@OldPalHappy Yeah, a link is a good idea for where to put the longer explanation. My thought is more of what the explanation would include. There would have to be an understanding between at least the higher level members (think the Lords and Ladies on the discord chat) of what each category of moderation really means, and how to word the extended explanation. Does "Too Broad" mean "You gave us good information, but not enough of it" or "You don't really know what your talking about, go look at the wiki"? Those explanations would have to be very well thought out.

Looks like your connection to Scripting Helpers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.