Correct number of parenthesis and ends, challenge response.

• @GoldenPhysics gave me a challenge on my post asking for challenges here. This is my solution.

alt text

This seems to work fine.

How it works:

Both solutions are simple counters. For the CheckParenthesis function, I could the number of ) in the string, and check if the number is the same as (. Rather simple. For the ProperEnds function, I check how many KeyWords are in the string, and check if it's the same as the number of ends in the string.

This seems to work well.
    alt text

Here's the code:

local module = {}

local KeyWords = {
    	"do",
    	"if",
    	"function"
    }

function module:ProperEnds(sng)
    	local keywordNum = 0
    	for _,word in next, KeyWords do
    		local _,num = sng:gsub(word,"")
    		keywordNum = num+keywordNum
    	end
    	local _,ends = sng:gsub("end","")
    	return ends==keywordNum
    end

function module:CheckParenthesis(sng)
    	local _,num1 = sng:gsub("%(","")
    	local _,num2 = sng:gsub("%)","")
    	return num1==num2
    end

return module

Notice:

This doesn't work very well because I couldn't figure out how to properly do this. The code finds the if in elseif and counts it, which causes errors. Variables named anything with if, do, or function will count an end, and etc. I couldn't fix this problem, but I tried. I would like to see a proper solution.

• @OldPalHappy It seems like your code doesn't check for the proper order of parenthesis. I haven't actually tested this, but I would think based on your code that ())( would return true instead of false. As for the keyword problem, I'll guess that if you make it detect at least one space before and after the keyword, it would ignore elseif and other variable problems.

• @GoldenPhysics Oh, I wasn't aware I had to check the order as well.

And yes, I did know that I could check to see if there weren't any characters in front of or behind the keywords, but that would require a different method. I might try again later. :3

• @GoldenPhysics Okay, I took some time to think this over, and I thought of an algorithm for the parentheses, I believe. After testing these solutions I believe they're correct as you wanted them for the challenge.

Example:
    alt text

Matching everything up you'll find everything works. My code isn't too long either.

Starting with the EndsCheck, because I was pretty close the first time, I just needed to do what you said, and check if the character in front of and behind the replaced keyword was a character.
    alt text

After that I made the ParenthesesCheck. I had trouble thinking of a way to do this, but I found checking if ( would match another ) after the (, if that makes sense. Basically just matching parenthesis together. Still not sure on parentheses, or parenthesis....
    alt text

Here's the code:

local m = {}

local KeyWords = {
    	"do",
    	"if",
    	"function"
    }

function m:ProperEnds(msg)
    	local keywordNum = 0
    	for _,word in next, KeyWords do
    		local i,num = msg:gsub(word,"&")
    		for index = 1,#i do
    			if(i:sub(index,index)=="&")then
    				local behind,front = i:sub(index-1,index-1), i:sub(index+1,index+1)
    				if(not((behind:match("%w"))or(front:match("%w"))))then
    					keywordNum = 1+keywordNum
    				end
    			end
    		end
    	end
    	local _,ends = msg:gsub("end","")
    	return ends==keywordNum
    end

function m:ParenthesesCheck(msg)
    	for i = 1,#msg do
    		if(msg:sub(i,i)=="(")then
    			if(not msg:sub(i,-1):find(")"))then
    				return false;
    			end
    		end
    	end
    	local _,num1 = msg:gsub("%(","")
    	local _,num2 = msg:gsub("%)","")
    	return(num1==num2)
    end

return m

And here's a link to the model.

Let me know if I did this right, and if I did how is my solution?

Thanks for the challenge :smile_cat:

EDIT:
    After doing this, @eLunate told me about this solution:
    alt text
    But I'm still glad I did it on my own.

Looks like your connection to Scripting Helpers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.