Frustration when user deletes question

• I noticed this has been happening to several users. I also got this idea from this post https://forum.scriptinghelpers.org/topic/545/frustration-when-a-user-deletes-their-question/ you should check it out.

I write an answer to a question and once I click the Answer button it redirects me to "Not Found". I go back to the home page and only to see the question was deleted. My answer still exists but it's gone. It counts towards my accepted/given ratio and it hurts it. So I suggest the following.

• Questions cannot be deleted by the OP for two or so hours. Possibly more or less. Once the time passes they can freely delete the question. This is so an answerer has time to write their answer.

OR

• If it is detected that someone is writing an answer in the answer box they can't delete their question.

If this is ever taken into consideration by the staff team one of these should be added.

• @sjr04Alt I think it would be so much easier to just add a rep lock on deleting questions because most of the people I've seen deleting questions do it because they have been answered and they are new and think "well my question is answered, why keep it here, I don't need it anymore". Just like 10 rep so they can understand the rules of the site before doing anything they shouldn't do.

• @SteamG0D Its not that they don't understand, it is that they are purposely doing it just to be mean and rude. @sjr04Alt You are right. I HATE when I answer a question and then they just destroy it like that, and I don't get a drop of reputation. The administrators need to do something about this and quick. Because if things don't change, scripting helpers will start losing people's attention, and people will not come here so often anymore.

• This shouldn't have anything to do with keeping reputation. You answer to help solve a question, meaning you don't just do it for the person asking. Other users can use it as reference hence the reason for including an explanation.

I don't see a need for this suggestion and both given examples have problems of themselves.

The second is just bad in general. If I want to delete MY question I put up then I surely should delete it when ever I want.

• Maybe if they have open moderation on their question it give the asker a option of deleting it? Honestly I can't really see the point of ever deleting a question, since it's depriving anyone who could've used google for the same issue and found that post and answer (Hopefully). Maybe give users a way to 'anonymize' themselves by removing their name from the question? Roblox is a kids game and kids grow up. They might find some of their older questions embarrassing and want to keep it out of a search engine's results

• @clc02 You can't keep stuff out of google's results. GOOGLE is evil. they are basically a virus that scans everything people type into the search bar and so if someone looks up something stupid, offensive, or embarassing, they get EXPOSED. they also give it to the gov

• Administrators

I'm considering removing the ability for askers to delete their own questions. Editing will still be possible. Answers will also still be able to be deleted. However, the only people who can delete questions will be community moderators.

I can't really think of a good reason that someone should ever want to delete their question, other than abusing the system.

However, I have concerns that in response to this, users will just edit their question and delete all the text from it. Although, that still gives mods a chance to close the question which will deduct reputation from the user. So if they do it enough, they'll get banned from lack of reputation.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on this

• @eryn Thank you for doing something about this problem. It feels good to know that answering questions is not a waste of time anymore

• I feel like they shouldn't be able to delete their questions, although there are a few exceptions. For example, if you read my profile, it shows I've asked 1 question, but one I deleted because I had figured out the error right after posting it.

To me, I don't think people should have such an ability if we go through it. Even now, if people ask for their questions to be taken down, they can call a moderator to take it down if reasonable.

All in all, the ability really just gives negative side effects in my opinion. The few exceptions can simply be fixed by community moderators if they find reason to do so.

• @eryn, I'm willing to bet that the majority or all of the rule obeying questions that get deleted are deleted because the poster doesn't realize that they can edit and fix their question that they may have formatted or asked incorrectly. Getting too many downvotes is probably one of the other main reasons, and I don't know what you want to do about that. Usually good questions don't get downvoted, so I don't think it's an issue anyway.
    I fully support this.

• @eryn
    I don't think they'll edit their questions to nothing, that's more work than deleting and clicking a confirm. Honestly a 20 second wait timer on the confirmation button and a bit of text saying "Please don't delete your question unless you didn't intend to post it" would work just as well.

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by ignorance, they probably just say "Oh question answered, I'll delete it so no one has to worry about it anymore" instead of "Haha! They have fallen for my trap of answering me, now I shall deny them of that sweet reputation they deserve!"

I still think deletion should be a possibility, even at cost to rep. People should be allowed to anonymize themselves on the internet, especially on sites they're likely to have used when they're young.

Edit: @Phlegethon5778 Makes a good point too, maybe add a message about the ability to edit the question on the confirmation screen?

• Administrators

Going to add the suggestion to edit instead, and a 20 second countdown to the button. We'll try this out for now and see how it goes. If anyone has a negative experience with an asker deleting their question still after these changes, please reply here and let us know

0_1548216415184_upload-fb40c9ec-1d19-4fc0-8649-ca461ac7b1e1

• This post is deleted!

• @eryn AMAZING.

• @eryn 'Ey, you went with my idea, guess we'll see if I misplaced my faith in people

• @xPolarium

This shouldn't have anything to do with keeping reputation. You answer to help solve a question, meaning you don't just do it for the person asking. Other users can use it as reference hence the reason for including an explanation.

You take time out of your day and spend minutes and possibly hours writing an answer helping other people out. You didn't have to take time out of your day, you chose to. You should therefore be compensated with some reps.

• @DominusInfinitus "You can't keep stuff out of google's results. GOOGLE is evil. they are basically a virus that scans everything people type into the search bar and so if someone looks up something stupid, offensive, or embarassing, they get EXPOSED. they also give it to the gov"

This was a sarcastic sentence right?
    Right?

• @GamingOverlord756 Actually, it was NOT. I am telling the truth. You really think that clearing your search history keeps it from google? No. Google probably has stored over one trillion searches and over like a million different accounts. I am not kidding. so I am just saying, for now on, just don't look up ANYTHING that can be used by google to hurt your reputation. Google probably already knows your real name, birth, EVERYTHING. Just don't get yourself in a bind.

• @DominusInfinitus LIKE I SAID, NOT SARCASTIC. I can't swear or promise that this is the truth, but I am not the only one who thinks this. Just saying, don't ruin your reputation off of a stupid search in google. Not saying google is bad either though; I bet EVERY browser has info about you and your searches, google is just probably the most accurate.

• @DominusInfinitus The internet's a bundle of tubes, and google's a bundle of algorithms. They're just doing anything a bundle of algorithms would be optimized to do. Like serving you links that you'd click on in their search results based on your previous searches and what you selected from them compared to the millions of other people who search and clicked similarly. They'll serve you ads based on what they think you'll buy based on what you've searched, any google related account information you've given them, anything you've connected to your google account, compared to other millions of people who bought similar stuff who are similar to your set of data.

Are they actively putting an individual on your specific browsing history in order to get all the dirt on you? Nope.
    Are they sending your information to the FBI if you search heinous criminal material like cheese pizza? Definitely.
    Do they help keep you in a bubble only showing you information you'll agree with? Only because they you've shown that you yourself select the information over other info.
    Do they show you the suicide hotline if you enter in keywords? Also true.

It's explainable by understanding the root cause, scary if you don't consider the absolute

MASSIVE AMOUNT

of data they can train these algorithms on. But active evil? Nah, not really. Incidentally evil like allowing politicians to serve ads to a demographic such as lower class or urban residents? Sure.

But the main evil thing they do is remove torrent sites from their search results. So I use duckduckgo.

tl;dr

You search x, click a. People who also search x and click a and search y click on b. When you search y, you'll be served b, because it's making guesses. It's no more evil than any educated guessing machine can be.

Looks like your connection to Scripting Helpers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.