[Discussion] Weird question trends, and questions in general.

• Global Moderator

The intent of this post is not to defame or otherwise shame anyone who asks these questions. It is intended to be a place for discussion as to why these questions are how they are.

So every 20 centuries there will be a question that just explodes. It gets tons of upvotes out of nowhere. Take this question, this other one, and some other question, a fourth question, and a last fifth question for example. 8-15 upvotes. Pretty overrated, i say that as im the one who commented "This is a good question. Upvote this, people" on the second question, tho i never expected so many upvotes but what could it be with these questions that get them tons of upvotes? Could it be how they are formatted? Is it because they are giving context? The site is kinda in a drought right now. Not lack of rain, but lacking good quality questions.

Far too often very little information is given.

Sometimes there is only description and no code, kinda like this question. Like how do you mess up this bad.

The opposite occurs aswell. No description, only code. A generic "it doesn't work" doesn't help at all. Take this question for example.

So, why could all of this be? Is it just young kids or do only i see a problem? Are they not capable of pasting output messages if applicable? I often see runtime errors in the code. Like they will attempt to index a nil value, and they couldn't even tell us that.

I'm very active on the site, i love most of the people, i somehow feel connected to everyone, so I want better for the site, and I want to know your thoughts on this topic.

Thank you

• @sjr04Alt Most don't read the How to Post Questions and Answers, which has them fall into a trap set up for failure. Legit most people formatted their questions by reading that, however not all of them do.

I think an example of how a question could be set up would benefit, i.e. a proper question title, proper body, code (if applicable), giving information about the problem, any screenshots, etc.

I think there should be some sort of cool down before being able to post a question; some look rushed out when they have a question that they want answered, and some info to consider before posting it. Some sort of window prompt may help as well, to make sure they're 100% ready for success.

Here's a rough image I created to reflect this.

0_1558044656722_questionwarningexample2.png

• Global Moderator

@TheAlphaStigma said in [Discussion] Weird question trends, and questions in general.:

I think there should be some sort of cool down before being able to post a question; some look rushed out when they have a question that they want answered, and some info to consider before posting it.

Yes this exists already, but the cooldown is removed at 40 reps. Tons of the askers have >= 40 reps and still can't properly ask questions. You'd expect more from them.

Some sort of window prompt may help as well, to make sure they're 100% ready for success.

yes, maybe template examples

• @sjr04Alt, I believe he means a cooldown after clicking ask question. That way they won't be able to just throw out a crappy question in two seconds. Not only that, but it would prevent spam questions/trollers to some extent.

• @sjr04Alt I believe that many scripters are just young kids. They just need to learn how to post quality (or sort of quality) questions and answers.

• Global Moderator

@MCAndRobloxUnited said in [Discussion] Weird question trends, and questions in general.:

@sjr04Alt I believe that many scripters are just young kids. They just need to learn how to post quality (or sort of quality) questions and answers.

Yes this probably is the issue, but at the same time it's really through common sense.

Question:

"I am having trouble with a jumping script. How do I fix it?"

Body:

"I have a jumping script, it basically makes you jump twice as high as the original jump height, but it does not let me jump at all. Does anybody know why?"

No code is present, i mean how do they expect us to know their issue without any code, and as i have mention before the opposite happens.

There is code, but no explanation.

• Global Moderator

Too lazy to edit but requests are still somehow an issue despite the fact that there is this note at the top of the site;

0_1558457521673_upload-49053c62-598b-4727-9ceb-8c66f6fea717

https://scriptinghelpers.org/questions/80533/i-need-a-script-for-hat-giver-but-for-a-gui-button-click

why can't these people understand

• @sjr04Alt That is also what little kids tend to do. They fail to follow rules.

Looks like your connection to Scripting Helpers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.